Friday, February 23, 2007

Camera's in School

When I was in high school it seemed that cameras were being put up all over. I feel that the their is a need for cameras for safety reasons although there seems to be to many. My high school spent a lot of money on different cameras that were placed either outside or inside the school. I always felt that there are plenty of other things that our money could of gone to. Also, the cameras seemed to act as a way to get students in trouble in the hall ways for little things instead of being used for safety. I know many students dislike being watched all the time by the faculty and staff. This is just an issue that I felt was controversial when I was in high school.

3 comments:

Associate Professor of Education, Luther College said...

Josh,

Interesting topic. Do you see the value in trying to maintain order and discipline by use of cameras?

Take care with your spelling on these blogs. Also, did you start a flickr account? Connect this account to your blog when you do.

Dr. Langholz

The Schaitel said...

Good point here Prich. I see the problem with the eye of "Big Brother" constantly watching your every move. I agree that money could be spent on much more educational things. Our schools do not need to mimic the ways of a prison. The children already feel like they are being pushed around and forced to be educated. Why should we watch their every move too. I for one hate the idea of a police state within America, and these cameras take the police state just one step further.

LinZAnn said...

Cameras were a big issue at my school too. Not so much in the school, but in the parking lot. There are cameras in the parking lot, but they only seemed to get certain people in trouble. When a friend's car was vandalized my senior year, the administration said there was nothing they could do about it, eventhough it wass on school property and the had the tape. I think cameras can be used for safety, but must also be used to help students when they need it.